It’s difficult to choose only one flower to add extra color to your flowerbeds during our
hot Texas summers. Tough as it may be, I’ve narrowed the list down to my two favorites.
These might become some of your favorites as well.

Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia sp.) is a handful of sunshine. I love the outstanding
bright yellow color of these flowers. These plants can withstand hot, dry days without missing
a beat. They bloom even during the most brutal gardening months. Several selections that do
not need frequent watering are available. They are medium to tall, willowy, with yellow
flowers and a green cone. There are several blooms on one stem. They also make a nice
cut-flower bouquet, being a real charmer for inside as well as outside.

Another beautiful flower is the spiderwort (Tradescantia virginiana). Don’t let
the name scare you off. This plant is intriguing from the start. It has small three-petaled
violet-blue flowers and grows about two feet tall, with bright green leaves. Its only
requirement is moist soil. Since the petals are small, the plant does not need to be
deadheaded. The plant is somewhat invasive. Spiderworts come in exotic white, magenta,
red, and pink. Although the flowers last only a day, they are replaced the next day with
another cluster.

I hope you try these easy-care perennials and enjoy them as much as I do.

Patricia Turinsky, Smith County Master Gardener
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service

Posted in Annuals, Perennials