Keeping a journal is an effective way to remember what we have done in our gardens in the past. It is a record of what worked for us and what didn’t. This is our personal adventure with our garden. It is a source of joy and knowledge of our own skills as dirt practitioners.

We can keep our journals by months or by planting season. Another great idea is to include photos of our gardens at each season of the year. I am always buying more bulbs to add, and the journal is a great tool to help me locate where bulbs bloomed when it is time to replace bulbs. You can bet we won’t be locating them by foliage.

My dad kept a journal of a vegetable garden he had during World War II. It was an insight not only to his gardening but to the way everyone was planting Victory Gardens to help with the war effort. He became a gardener and remained an avid gardener for the rest of his life.

The knowledge we gained in the Master Gardener classes can be reinforced as we put this new information into practice. I am especially thinking about problems that we may encounter with our plants and the detective work we can now use to solve the problems.

Mary McGee, former Smith County Master Gardener
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service

Posted in Other Seasonal Topics